Saturday, July 24, 2010

Diesel in the round pen....

Today was a pearler of a day weather wise so I got Diesel out of the paddock for a good brush.

The round pen I have had in the paddock for about 6 months is kinda still standing (its only made of posts in the ground with electric tape around it as that is all I have) so I decided to take my boy down there and see what he thought of it.

Put his bridle on (only consists of a bridle with a bit - no nose band or anything), a halter over the top, a sircingle with a saddle pad on underneath it and a lunge line. The lunge was attached to the halter, not the bride.

Anyway, took him in and put him on a right hand circle and he was FAB!!! Really listened, was very comfortable and calm with walk and trot and just really really well behaved (this is only about our 3rd time trying to lunge and the first in a really confined area).

Put him on a lefthand circle and he just had no idea. Walked him around by his side a couple of times to see if he would get the hang of it and he was definitely better but still nowhere near as good as on the right rein. Really weird, and I dont think he was being a dick on that rein, just didnt seem to get it! I know it will take a bit of work to get him used to this but we have time on our side :o)

We had one moment where he was being a shit (on the left rein) and as he went to stop I clicked him on and moved towards his arse to get him moving again and he kind of leapt forward and gave a feck-off kick out to the side....well, he was told in no uncertain terms that it was not acceptable in and way, shape or form....he didnt try that again :o)

For only our 3rd attempt I was really pleased with him, he listened really well and for the most part was a very obliging youngster. Hopefully the area in the round pen will stay dry enough that I can continue with this over the next month or so until it dries out enough to start properly backing him.

Sorry no pics as it was just me and my boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment