Wooo hoo, its a week of firsts for old Diesel!!!!
Today I decided to get him out and see what he would be like with reins attached to his bit. Put his bridle on and let him sort himself out and then attached the reins. Within 5 minutes he was gently turning to the slight pressure so that was all good!
Then, my dear friend Helena, came back from her lesson on Chevy and we decided to try him at long-reining. Just down from the house is the end of the cul-de-sac and its nice and round with great tarmac seal so was the perfect place to try this new thing out with the boy.
Helena was at the back end holding onto the long-reins and I had a rope attached to his halter and was just 'accompanying' him just to give him an idea of what we were asking him to do.
Well, after 5 minutes I unclipped the rope and backed off and just watched Helena working Diesel. Wow, it was amazing! He was very willing to learn and was really listening to Helena and took to it like a duck to water :o) Within 15 minutes he was turning when asked, halting when asked and being a very obliging youngster.
I watched with awe, for the first time I was truly seeing my wee man doing some work and could visualise what he is going to turn out like once he is fully backed and broken in. It was just amazing. He really is a super looking young man and today I was very proud of both Diesel, and myself, as we have come such a long way from me trying to handle a 7 month old baby.
Helena has such a wonderful way with Diesel and is going to long-rein him a couple more times before I to try it myself (weather permitting).
I am getting very excited about the prospect of finally riding him this summer...he is gorgeous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment