Wow, what a week. Not even sure how this big decision came about but it did, and I've decided and I guess thats that. :o(
What is my big decision......I am going to sell Diesel. I know I have talked about it time and time again and it never eventuates but this time it is different.
I have just finally realised that having a young horse is not beneficial for either myself or the horse involved. A young green horse is not what I should be riding, and not what I should be trying to teach.
I know that I cant train Diesel properly and all I seem to end up doing is NOTHING, its easier to just handle him and potter around that actually get on and wonder if we are doing it right.
He has never done anything wrong when he is being ridden, he does everything I would expect a young horse to do when it is learning but for me I dont feel confident when he does the young horse things. I am not cut out for taking him to the beach for the first time, or the forest, or a show and although I am not admitting defeat I am admitting that it is now too much for me.
I need a horse that I can drag out of the paddock once a week and be able to ride it anywhere without worrying, I want a horse that I can go and jump an 80cm course on without having to train it to jump first and I want a horse I can go around a x-country course on and enjoy myself.
Basically I want an older horse that has done everything and wants a slower pace in life.
I have enjoyed raising Diesel so much, I have learned heaps and so has he but I know its time to hand the reins over to someone else now for them to get him out there and doing more than I can.
So, whats my plan??????
For the next few weeks I am taking him up to Weiti Station for Alice to bring him back into work, but as they are only 5 minutes away he will continue living here with me which is great.
Then in a couple of week he will be put on Trade Me by Alice and I will continue to take him up there so he is kept in work and then if anyone wants to see him I just again take him there. Win win situation for me as it means I still get to spend time with him before he is sold......and then I will look for another horse that is more suitable for my Nanna-self!!!!!
I am going to miss Diesel so much when he is gone, and I just really hope that whoever buys him will allow me to keep in touch and be updated on his progress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It would be lovely if he goes somewhere that you can see him and watch his progress. You've done a great job bringing him to this point, and you're going to have fun, both watching his ongoing development and on whatever new pony you have.
ReplyDeleteTough decision, but you've obviously given it a lot of time and thought.