Saturday, May 21, 2011

Tommy B - what a legend!!!

Well, today was the visit to Tommy. Diesel loaded like a total pro, just walked on and stood quietly when I was faffing around doing up the bar etc.

We had a 45 minute trip (which included a stop at the petrol station to fill up) and I didnt feel him move once. My hubby and kids came along too and Makayla kept looking out the back window to check Diesel was okay through the float window - so cute.

Once we arrived I took the ramp down and Diesel once again waited patiently while I untied him and opened the bar.

When he was backing off he seemed to be a bit shaky on his feet so not sure if he had been quite tense in the float for the trip but if he had been I had no idea atall as he travelled so well.

Got him off and took him over to where the barn with stables in it was situated. In all my worry of floating I just didnt give it a thought that he had never been in a stable before (well not since I've had him anyway). He took one look at the roof and just was so unsure whether he should go in or not - bless him!

We finally got him in the end stable and Tommy came straight over to see us. Tommy immediately said that he had seen Diesel was quite stiff in the back end and that he was doing short and choppy steps. Sure enough, his Sacrum was out and it might have been that way since birth (or if not it was not long after so a hell of a long time). Tommy got his mallets out, did his magic with a couple of 'whacks' to the right places and that was it.

His helper took Diesel out of the stable and walked him around so I could see the difference.....and boy, what a difference! Diesel was tracking through a good foot more than he was before. Tommy said to give him a couple of days off to recover and then we can start working again. He mentioned that Diesel should feel alot more free moving too, but not in a 'taking off' way, just a comfortable and floating way.

Reloaded Diesel like the pro he is (ha ha) and went home again....we stopped at the Bakery in Kumeu on the way and police cars were going past with sirens blazing and Diesel was as happy as Larry in the float. Unloaded him at home (no stiffness like before), gave him a feed and rugged him up and put him back in the paddock.

All I can say is I am ABSOLUTELY OVER THE MOON with my boy, although we are not doing that much at the moment, what we do end up doing is so successful that I really look forward to doing alot more. We seem to be getting a really good connection between us and I like it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment