So, Diesel has been basically left untouched for the last two - three weeks. The weather has been absolutely foul and once the kids went back to school last week I got really really sick with a cold and couldnt do anything so hence my untouched pony.
Today, I got him out and gave him a decent brush (he is possibly the fluffiest I have ever seen him - beautiful, soft black fluff) and decided to take him for a walk in-hand up the road. My hubby came along too!
Well, Diesels eye's were on stalks the majority of the time, and on the way back he saw some Alpaca's in a side paddock and I swear he grew to 18hh! All I can say is I am really glad that I was not riding him.
I dont really know what I am going to do with him over winter. The paddocks are getting a bit wet and muddy now and I dont want to ride in them too much longer and risk us falling over, yet I am not confident enough with him to take him hacking up the road yet either.
I see my options as:
*** Take him up to Weiti Station once a week and hire their arena so it keeps him ticking over a little bit (or if not Weiti find somewhere else).
*** Turn him out for winter
??????? Cant really think of anymore at the moment. What to do, what to do??????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Kezza, I'm in the same boat as you. My Mack was started in January. I got him home around March and have been doing a bit with him a few times a week, with a couple of 2 week breaks (1 due to abscess and once over Easter). I was agonising over what to do with him as he's quite sensitive and our grass is like rocket fuel. I also can't hack him out up the road by myself and our paddocks are getting wet. I decided that it all got too hard and have decided to turn him out. I can still do groundwork with him if I want, and not feel guilty not riding him, or not being able to get the work into him. We'll start again in spring. I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine :o)
ReplyDelete