So, this was my dilema...
I havge always had my horses shod....always! I dont have a problem with horses having shoes on and if they need them so be it. I also dont have a problem with horses that are barefoot, if they can handle it and are sound with it excellent.
So, I had a big decision to make about Diesel this week. He has been barefoot ever since I got him and he was not just being paddock trimmed but proper barefoot trimmed. Chelsea, my trimmer, has been absolutely outstanding doing Diesel, even when he was a total shite!!! I always thought he would remain barefoot.
BUT.....I personally feel that this summer his feet have just not coped with being barefoot. He has been getting the most awful flares on his back feet, alot of cracks, and what I would call an abnormal amount of abcesses. Although his feet have looked really good when they are trimmed it has not been taking long before they start to disentigrate again. I really believe that he has taken more to the TB side with his feet than the clydesdale side unfortunately.
I noticed this week that his soles seemed to have dropped a fair bit, he was walking on his frogs and was pretty sore. I dont like seeing him like this atall and there just seemed to be no end to it, he was not getting any better so I made the call to get some shoes put on!
It was a bit gutting to be honest but also a BIG relief. He only got shoes put on the front feet but immediately he walked so much more comfortably. He stood there like such a good boy (considering its the first time ever he has had shoes put on he was an absolute angel).
Once I put him out in the paddock he trotted off and that is the first time he has got out of a walk for over a week! He also lifted his knees up so much more than usual and the slight dish he has usually was barely visible.
So, there you have it, it was time I made a decision as I want to get this boy back to Weiti Station to finish being broken in asap and hopefully now he has shoes on it will be relatively soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment